Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kid For Sale - Cheap

I remember being afraid when I was a child that my parents would put me up for adoption. There must have been a law against this, otherwise my parents surely would have thought of it. Children certainly are a lot of fuss and bother, and I was no exception. As I work my way through my mom's diaries, I'm sending silent sorry-about-thats heavenward to my parents, especially to my mother. She was the one who was stuck with me most of the time.


In just a few days worth of diary entries the three-year old me has surprised my mom with crayons in the teakettle, messed with the washing machine causing water to overflow all over the garage, and spilled an entire glass of juice in the bed.


Prior to this, I went through a long spell of "running off," as my mother puts it. I ran off to visit neighbors before my parents got out of bed in the morning. I ran off and stole a neighbor's toy tractor and rode it a couple of blocks from home. I ran off from my mother while we were traveling by rail, and made a beeline for the men's room because she couldn't follow me in there. I remember being told about this story, with a few more details than the diary contains. She waited outside for awhile, and finally asked a man to go in after me. He dragged me out and explained that I was scampering from toilet to toilet, flushing like mad, happy as a clam.


Department stores were a land of enchantment for me. I would run off and hide in the middle of circular clothing racks, or crawl into the storage areas beneath display counters. I loved to close myself up in those tri-fold full-length mirrors so I could spend time with legions of Little Billys.


The icing on the cake was when I escaped from her in a multi-floor department store in downtown Norfolk. She hunted from floor to floor, even the mezzanine, but could not find me. Becoming alarmed when she remembered my fascination with the revolving doors, she dashed outside. What if I had been hit by a bus in downtown traffic?


There was a little crowd on the sidewalk, but they weren't looking down the street for a bus. They were looking back at the department store display window, and they were laughing their heads off. Sure enough, when my mother turned to the window, there I was. I was having the time of my life, unwrapping display gifts in the window.


My mother bought me a little harness and a leash. She had seen other children wearing these, and she had viewed their mothers with disapproval. Suddenly, however, she understood the wisdom of these women. With me on a tether, she could sally forth without breaking out in a cold sweat. If I became grumpy or whiny because of my restricted range, she had a secret weapon. Knowing that a mother waling the daylights out of a child could raise eyebrows, she would disguise a sharp pinch as a comforting hand, and adults would look at the sweet, frail mother of a monster child with sympathy.


One cold winter evening I decided to play my trump card. Things weren't going my way at the supper table, and I announced that I would run away from home. My mother was out of the kitchen in a flash. She suddenly reappeared with my coat and a tiny suitcase. Before I knew what was happening, I was bundled up, kissed good-bye, and whisked out the back door. I may have been told "Good luck!" or "Don't forget to write!" but I don't recall. I do remember that the brick step was very cold on my little behind, and my tears of frustration tasted bitter.


My mother had won another round.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story Bill, My Mom would always say, "Don't forget your toothbrush". I could never fit all my stuffed aninmals in my suitcase and I was not leaving them behind to suffer my brother's torture, so yeh, they won.

Scott W said...

She sallied forth? Really?

I love it that you made your way into the display window and were unwrapping all those presents. Such nerve! I would never have had the balls to be so brazen.

So, alls you were doing in the men's room was flushing toilets? Are you sure?

Trailboss said...

I don't recall ever wanting or saying I was running away from home. Hummmmmm, oh I remember why! I was a spoiled little girl that looked just like my daddy and could just about get away with anything my little selfish all about me self could do.

Zanejabbers said...

I love your "little boy stories".
I used to run away and direct traffic. I'll have to write about that next week. Thanks for the laaughs.

Jen said...

Aw, your mom had some serious tough love! I don't think I can handle it if Nate keeps up his naughty behavior, honestly. I may just lose my mind!

I like your crayons in the teakettle idea... What a way to frustrate the mom. ;)

Bill said...

Scott, the man who fetched me from the men's room was Larry Craig. My mother wondered why it took so long.
Jen, a few days after the Crayon Incident, my mother bought a new teakettle. I guess Crayola coffee wasn't good to the last drop.

Karen said...

This had me howling with laughter. Love the scene in the department store window and the description of you in the trifold mirror. This is why my mom used to tell us that all mothers go straight to heaven, there was no purgatory for mothers. And when we threatened to run away from home, her response was, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Jean said...

The halter-leash thing I can appreciate. We put one on my niece when she visited us up when we lived in NYC. I think it's better than the kid's little hand being twisted and pulled by dear ole mom, or auntie, as the case may be.

So in your roamings, did it ever occur to you to wonder where mommy and daddy were? I remember freaking out once in a department store when I got lost.

Lemuel said...

Delightful story!

I only ran away once (my sister was watching me at the time) and I only got a half block away. It started to rain and I did not want "Teddy" to get wet. (The only thing I took with me was my teddybear.)

Birdie said...

My daughter ran away at age four. But she knew she wasn't allowed to leave the cul-de-sac, so she packed her little bag and sat under the neighbor's tree across the street for a couple of hours. Then she came home for dinner. Nothing further was said about it.

I gotta tell ya, Bill, I'm hooked on that silly dance video. I think I've watched it five or six times. I don't know why, but I LOVE it. Makes me smile every time I watch it! Wish I could move like that.

Birdie

dAAve said...

Do you still use that harness & leash?

Skippy said...

That's hilarious, Bill! You're such a good writer, your stories crack me up. I used to idolize my mother and thought she would never have put me on a leash. I was criticizing a leash-wielding mother in public one time and my mom looked at me askance. "How do you think I kept up with 5 kids?" she asked. I guess I wasn't scarred from it ;o)

Suzanne said...

I have tears running down my cheeks...the image of you gleefully unwrapping prezzies in the display window is just too much. Ahahahahaha!!!